Is Medicare Plan N better than other Medigap plans?
Medicare Plan N, a Medigap plan, covers only those that are covered by the Original Medicare plan under Part A and Part B. Hence it does not cover those expenses related to long term care, vision, dental, hearing aids, eyeglasses, and private duty nursing.
Medicare Plan N usually covers the following:
- Hospitalization Expenses (Part A) – copays and deductibles and hospital stay for one year
- Medical Expenses (Part B) – copays for outpatient care and coinsurance at health care providers offices
- Blood transfusion – first 3 pints annually
- Hospice care – Part A coinsurance and coinsurance for skilled nursing staff facility
- 80% costs of healthcare costs while traveling abroad
However, Medicare Plan N does not cover deductibles for Part B as a newly enacted law prevents this.
Medicare Plan N is similar to Plan F and G but is less expensive and overall a cost-effective solution.
Please note that Plan N does not cover prescription drugs, necessitating a separate Part D plan. Plan N provides more coverage than Plan K and Plan L and has a lower premium than Plan A to Plan G. Besides, Plan N costs less than Plan F. Therefore, in the tradeoff between cost and benefits, Plan N outweighs cost with much better services.
For a more nuanced understanding of how Medicare Plan N works and what good it can do to you, please contact www.askhpm.com for a broader perspective about Medigap plans.